Wednesday 10 February 2010

Time to start scripting


Using our OpenSim as a means of encouraging students to explore virtual worlds continues to be increasingly popular. Beyond the building that has been taking place, the next stage is to get them all familiar with scripting. I have been working with Second Life and using it as part of my main stream course delivery for the last couple years now, and that has certainly proved to also be popular. The question is, just how much scripting functionality does OpenSim have by comparison to SL. The way have I decided to approach this is to simply give my students access to the simpler SL scripts and see how they get on, not that I am suggesting for one minute that OpenSim should be a carbon copy of SL, but the approach seems a reasonable way to start. The script library that I am using is at

Once each of the students have run through a series of scripts for testing, I will get them to post their findings to this blog.